Sunday, September 25, 2011

Post-Game review: Auburn 30 - FAU 14

First of all, a win is a win.

And judging by the next 4 games on our schedule, we'll take all of 'em we can. When all of the pundits who viewed Auburn as a team that was too young and had too difficult of a schedule to do anything meaningful this season, this is the stretch they pointed to. At South Carolina, at Arkansas, Florida at home, then at LSU to wrap up. What the hell? Ridiculous!

So, like I said, we'll take 'em where we can.

Offensively,
this is about as disappointing of a game as I've watched under Gus Malzahn's incredible run here. I understand that we have to get the ball to our playmakers at WR quickly, but even I was able to call out "WR screen to Reed" every other play and be correct. The screen game is effective only if the running game and/or deep passing game is effective. Neither of those were being executed effectively by Auburn. To me, it appears that Trotter is hesitant to make the deep throws to anyone other than Emory Blake (who has been incredible so far). I'm not sure whether he doesn't trust what he sees or if he's just scared to throw picks, but there were several times that there were receivers running open in the first half and he checked down to the easy short throw to the RB or H-Back for a short gain or loss. I understand that Trotter is not Cam Newton, but Trotter did win this job as Auburn's starting QB for a reason. He has the ability to stretch the field. We saw this much was true in the A-Day game this spring. I know, don't take too much from that, but we saw he can put throws on the money deep. This has to be done over the next 4 weeks for us to have any chance to give Dyer room to run the ball. Some people will wonder why we didn't run Dyer 30 times against them, not me. He needs to be healthy and fresh for these next 4 weeks, because I envision him carrying the ball probably close to or over 100 times this next month. On the other side, this should give Auburn's WRs a little more room to make plays if they bring an extra safety into the box, but Trotter has to trust what he sees and make accurate throws.

Grade: C-

Now for Defense:
As I mentioned in one of my articles last week, I like the idea of simplifying the defense to allow the young athletes we do have to play faster. It looked like we were playing faster out there. I'd rather have 11 guys on the same page on an okay defensive call than 10 guys on the same page on a great call (which is what we'd been seeing weeks 1-3). I feel like we really did make progress this week. We actually made a few plays, which will help the confidence of this young team. And, I was very, very impressed with the play of young DBs, Jermaine Whitehead and Robenson Therezie. Whitehead's interception was the type of play that Auburn fans have been clamoring for, and haven't gotten since probably the 2010 Outback Bowl when McFadden returned the pick for a TD 100+ yards. He read the route, broke on the ball, and made a 1 on 1 "I'm better than you" play on the ball. This is something I hope to see more of.

Unfortunately, even though I love T'Sharvan Bell, I don't know if we will because Bell is consistently out of position and probably gets out of his breaks slower than any of the other DBs on the team. The problem is, he's smart and is one of the few vocal leaders we have on defense. I'd like to see more out of him and see him take the next step from how he played at the end of last year, but he appears to have gone a little backwards......and so has our defense overall.

Another alarming problem I noticed was that we weren't able to get any push at all across the DL against FAU. That's sad, and quite frankly, pathetic. I don't care anymore if these kids are young, they've had 3, now 4, games to figure out what to expect in D1 football on the DL. FAU was able to consistently gash our defense for decent chunks of yardage on the ground, and rarely were we ever able to get any pressure on the QB. Once again, pathetic. We have vastly superior athletes to what FAU can offer up, so I expected the DL to be able to pad some stats and get 3-4 sacks at least. Corey Lemonier was pretty much the only guy that was able to do so. With Dee Ford out, I really expected LaDarius Owens to be able to put up a great performance out there as well, but he seemed to get swallowed up anytime an OL got his hands on him. This is an area that has to improve, or else Garcia, Wilson, Brantley, and Lee will eat us alive in October.

Grade: B

Finally we take a look at Special Teams.
Cody Parkey, you're the MVP of the Auburn football team so far this year. He is, single-handedly, able to eliminate any threat of a ST play by the opposition turning the game around after an Auburn score. He has an absolutely huge leg, and has been exceptional on FGs. We can only hope that he performs the same way on the road this coming month in big, loud atmospheres. Steven Clark has done a very, very good job as well. Overall I'm happy with him too.

The one issue that we're having so far with special teams, is punt returns. Trovon Reed has eliminated that good ole' feeling of "oh God please just catch the ball". Okay, so that's done. Now we need to actually give him a little room to do his magic. He's absolutely electric and can make you miss in a phone booth, but he can only make 3-4 guys miss (rolls eyes) before the help will eventually wrap him up. He can't make any moves upfield because of how quickly guys are in his face. This isn't too bad of an issue though, all thing considered.

Grade: A

Overall
not a horrible game, just kind of "meh" to be honest. Defensively, I feel we progressed. We were good on ST. Offensively, I was horribly disappointed. Playcalling has to be better there. We also got out without any major injuries.

Grade: B

I'm very happy that we're the CBS game next week, hopefully that kind of stage is something that will bring out the players on our team. One thing is for sure, we certainly have a scary schedule for the month that brings Halloween!

WDE!

7 comments:

  1. I really liked the young guys out there too. Therizie and Whitehead are gonna be great. The part that simply can't and wont get better is the DL. They are all very young (18-19 years old) and I don't feel they are physically mature enough to have the a big impact, especially when facing older OL. The tackling looked to improve somewhat...Therizie is a GREAT tackler and Holland looked a little better today.

    Kiehl Frazier is looking great and I love how his run threat ability opens up the runs for OMC and Dyer. The best run OMC had all night was when Frazier was in there and read the zone read option. I'm not saying Kiehl is the next Cam, but he does give us the same play calling ability as we had last year with Cam, which will open up the running game a lot more.

    I've had huge expectations for Reed this year, and it may be the situations he has been put in thus far, that have allowed him only to play what I would deem average. He has great hands on the punt returns and after the past few years I'll take a catch every time, but now it's time to take it a step farther and he needs to produce some more yards....I'm not sure if it's the special teams blocking and lack of execution, but it seems Reed doesn't ever have enough time to really get going after a punt return.

    Trotter has been okay so far......I'm not overly impressed. He is WAY to fixated on Blake and stares him down from the time the ball is snapped and this is gonna lead to more picks against a good defense. The Clemson INT last weekend when he stared Blake down for a solid 3-5 seconds killed me.

    The future looks very grim for Auburn especially once we play teams with great OL and good running games. LSU, Bama, USCe, and Florida are going run the ball up the gut ALLLLL day and there is nothing we can do about it. I bet Bama and LSU will get around 200-250 rush yards against us. You heard it here first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't argue with any if that. Our best tacklers all need to be in the games this month. Imp our best LB group is White, Holland, and Freeman. DBs Therezie, Whitehead, and Davis. Safeties Florence, McNeal and Thorpe rotating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This team wasn't great in their first two games, and I really haven't seen improvement. That's what vexes me the most: why aren't we getting better? When is it going to click?

    Are we seeing Trotter's ceiling? It's hard for me to get excited about the future of this season if I know that Trotter is the guy for the rest of the year. I feel like we are always going to meh on offense with him out there. He can sort of run, but I think the coaches avoid that since he gets hurt any time he's tackled.

    The wide receiver bubble screens are a joke at this point. And if Reed has any potential to break a long play, I haven't seen it.

    The wrap around draw has overstayed it's welcome. It was cute the first few times but everyone see it coming now. I'd like to see a shuffle pass instead so that the rb can be moving by the time he gets the ball.

    Is Pelton coaching for his continued employment or does he get a pass for all the youth he's dealing with?

    Despite my gripes, I won't get too worked up about anything that happens this year. This is basically a year of practice for 2012. I just hope we improve and we aren't seeing this hot mess against Alabama.

    So far so good on the blog. Keep it up because the AUblogosphere needs something like this. There really isn't anywhere to go anymore to read thoughtful observations on all aspects of Auburn football (that was Jerry Hinnen's job until he rudely got a real sports blogging job).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marmot,

    that is the best way to view the 2011 season, as much as we may not want to. This is a tough year with a lot of growing pains. Now, we obviously know that the team isn't viewing it that way and I'm sure they'll put 110% effort into every game.

    Regarding Trotter, you're probably pretty spot on. He does have a lower ceiling, but also more of a safe bet at QB right now. And while Moseley may have a more dynamic skill set, the offense would look the same with him b/c he doesn't possess a running threat. Here's where it gets tricky, Kiehl Frazier. We all want him in now, I even want him in now, but it's a lot to ask of an 18 year old kid to enter this October schedule as the new starter, or even co-starter. I do expect him to continue getting more playing time and even eventually be named the new starter. I see some bashing the 1 throw he made, but after watching again twice, it was nothing short of a phenomenal throw. He put it low and away from the DB where only the receiver could get it and recognized that the DB has his back turned to the WR. I think he's going to be special, and one to look forward to for '12.

    Thanks for reading the blog and for the comments. I hope you enjoy it, and tell others if you don't mind. WDE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the offensive struggles due to a lack of experience or because people are starting to figure CGM out??

    His play calling has been less than stellar this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. play calling, IMO, has been the main issue. I don't think Gus trusts us to throw the ball deep over the middle consistently. If we can't run the ball and stretch the field, these little short throws will get eaten alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YaBoy, I'm hoping his play calling is the "crazy like a fox" type of play calling rather than just plain crazy. I'll be interested to see what we pull out against a Western Division foe, because we may not go all out even against South Carolina (I hate saying that, but it might be the only viable strategy for making a run at the Western crown).

    As to whether defenses are figuring Malzhan out, it's possible. I'd complain that we keep running the same plays, but so does Paul Johnson at Ga Tech. I'm willing to chalk our current woes up to youth and inexperience and mediocre older talent. I'd also like to see us just go warp speed and let the chips fall where they may... we're probably saving that for a future opponent.

    ReplyDelete